A revised Integrated Benefits Package Agreement (IBP) was signed in 2007 with the Lihir Mining Area Landowners Association and the Nimamar Rural Local-Level Government (NRLLG).
The IBP sets out the heritage and compensation arrangements for the local landowners, with the main objectives of ensuring that development in Lihir occurs in parallel with mining, is balanced across the island, is sustainable and is stable.
The revised IBP sets out a framework for:
- Financial commitments over five years, totaling PGK107M.
- Commitments to assist the Lihir people to establish commercial ventures on Lihir Island, including participation in mining related activities.
- Developing the capability and capacity of the Lihir people to manage their own affairs.
- Implementing all incomplete projects agreed to under the original IBP.
- Compensation associated with land affected by mining and related operations.
- Requirements associated with rehabilitation and mine closure.
The above agreement is currently being reviewed. Final terms of the revised agreement are still being negotiated.